• Carry a Canadian passport that is valid well beyond the date of your anticipated return to Canada; keep a copy of the identification page separate from the original.
• Leave copies of your passport identification page, itinerary, and insurance policy with friends or family.
• Obtain any required visas well in advance.
• Arrange for supplemental travel health insurance.
• Anticipate financial needs, such as local currency and departure tax.
• Take care of health needs: vaccinations, prescriptions, medical certificates, supplies, extra eyeglasses.
• Check whether dual citizenship is an issue for you.
• Sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
• Carry an Emergency Contact Card with the coordinates of the nearest Canadian government office in your destination country.
• Obtain an International Driving Permit, if required.